mnmlist: buying is not the solution
- We want to get organized, we’ll buy containers or folders or closet organizers.
- We want to lose weight, we’ll buy diet food or an exercise machine or a gym membership.
- We want to help the environment, we buy green products.
- To get out of debt, we’ll hire a financial planner or new financial software.
- We want to save gas, we buy a gas-efficient car (perhaps a hybrid).
- We want to start new hobby, we’ll buy new materials or equipment.
- We want to do almost anything, we’ll buy new clothes for it (workout clothes, work clothes, yoga clothes, dressy clothes, hip clothes)
- We want to make our house look better, we’ll buy new furniture or decorations.
- We want to be cooler, we’ll buy new gadgets. Or cool T-shirts.
- We want to improve our lives, we buy new books on different topics.
But buying is not the solution. Or at least, it rarely rarely is.
Instead, buy less. Stop yourself before going out to buy things. See what you already have that you can use. See if someone else has it that you can borrow or trade or barter for. See if you can solve the problem without anything new.Just a few examples:
- To help the environment, consume less. Live simply.
- To lose weight, eat less. Eat clean.
- To get in great shape, try a minimalist workout by just walking or running or swimming or doing bodyweight exercises.
- To get out of debt, spend less, save money, pay off debts.
- To make your house look better, declutter.
- To save gas, drive less.
- To get organized, declutter.
- To improve your life, read free stuff online, or just start making small changes over time.
Ironically, you might have noticed I’m selling an ebook on minimalism: The Simple Guide to Living a Minimalist Life. It’s $9.95, it’s Uncopyrighted, and it’s DRM-free.
You do not need to buy this ebook in order to live a more minimalist life. This blog will offer free ideas, as do other blogs, and you can do it on your own simply by reducing what you have and what you do down to the essential.
However, I do offer this ebook as a way to save you some time in doing a lot of research, and I hope if you do buy it, you’ll find it useful. I charge money for it to 1) raise money for a good cause and 2) help pay for my living expenses.